The Fernwood Academy Trust
With effect from 1st May 2011 the school converted to Academy status, which brought about a number of changes in the governance arrangements at the school. The Fernwood Academy Trust was established, a charitable company limited by guarantee, the object of which is to advance, for the public benefit, the education of pupils and develop a school offering a broad and balanced curriculum.
The appointed members of the Trust are:-
- Mr A Hunt
- Mr P Irons MBE
- Mrs U Afzal
- Mr M Blatchly
The Academy Trust Governing Body
The Governing Body manages the Fernwood School (Academy) on behalf of the Trust. This places many duties and responsibilities on the Governing Body, the key ones of which are summarised below:-
- Ensure the quality of educational provision
- Challenge and monitor the performance of the Academy
- Manage the Academy Trust’s finances and property
- Appoint and employ staff
- Health and Safety
- Act as the Admissions Authority
The Governing Body comprises 18 members, appointed in the following categories:-
- 7 Parents
- 5 Community
- 2 Partnership
- 4 Staff
The Governing Body is also able to appoint up to 3 Co-opted Governors.
Appointments to membership are usually for a period of 4 years and the Chair and Vice-Chair are appointed on an annual basis. The Academy Trust and Governing Body are supported by its Company Secretary and Clerk, Mrs Sue Law, email email@example.com.
Current membership is as set out below:-
- Mr Paul Irons (Chair) (Partnership Governor, re-appointed by the Governing Body 01/09/21, period of office expiring 31/08/25) (see notes 1,2 & 3)
- Mrs Rosemarie Hudlin (Community Governor, re-appointed by the Governing Body 05/02/22, period of office expiring 04/02/26) (see notes 1, 2 and 3)
- Mr Andrew Hunt (Vice Chair) (Chair of Finance, Audit and Risk Committee, Community Governor, re-appointed by the Governing Body 02/10/21, period of office expiring 01/10/25) (see notes 2)
- Mr Neil Jackson (Staff Governor, re-elected by school staff 26/05/23, period of office expiring 25/05/27) (see notes 2 & 4)
- Mr Paul Burke (Head Teacher) Resigned 31/8/2023 (see notes 1 & 3)
- Mr Chris Gell (Head Teacher) (see notes 1 & 3)
- Ms Amanda Smart-Gosrani (Community Governor, appointed by Governing Body 03/02/20, resigned 20/03/23)
- Mr Christopher Gregory (Parent Governor, appointed by the Governing Body 18/3/20, resigned 30/11/22)
- Mr Stephen Deadman-Corsie (Partnership Governor, appointed by the Governing Body 18/3/20, period of office expiring 17/03/24) (see notes 2)
- Mrs U Afzal (Parent Governor, re-elected by parent/carers 18/05/21, period of office expiring 17/05/2025) (see notes 1 & 3)
- Mr M Blatchly (Chair of Pupils and Personnel, Parent Governor, re-elected by parent/carers 18/05/21, period of office expiring 17/05/2025) (see notes 1 & 2)
- Mr L Mead (Staff Governor, elected by school staff, period of office expired 31/12/22)
- Mr Kevin Beswick (Community Governor, re-appointed by the Governing Body 27/09/2022, period of office expiring 26/09/26) (see notes 1 & 3)
- Mrs Ruth Bennett, Local Authority Governor (nominated by the Local Authority and appointed by the Governing Body 31/01/19, period of office expired 30/1/2023)
- Mrs A Hopkinson – Staff Governor, elected by school staff 25/09/2019, period of office expired 24/09/2023
- Mr A Hicks – Community Governor, re-appointed by the Governing Body 25/09/2023, period of office expiring on 24/09/2027 (see note 1)
- Mrs Claire Mulholland (nee Ms C Donaldson) – Co-opted Governor, re-appointed by the Governing Body 25/09/2023, period of office expiring 24/09/2027
- Mr Nicolas Capon (Parent Governor, elected by parents/carers 13/02/20, period of office expiring on 12/02/24) (see note 2)
- Mrs F Moore (Parent Governor, elected by parent/carers 10/05/2021, resigned 11/01/2023)
- Mrs S Mohammad (Parent Governor, elected by parent/carers 19/4/2022, period of office expiring 18/04/2026) (see note 1)
- Mrs L Silver (Parent Governor, elected by parent/carers 19/4/2022, period of office expiring 18/04/2026) (see note 1)
- Mr N Sagoo (Co-opted Governor, appointed by the Governing Body 21/09/2022, period of office expiring on 20/9/2026 (See notes 1 and 2)
- Mr W Beasley (Staff Governor, elected by school staff 6/01/2023 period of office expiring 5/01/2027) (See note 1)
- Mr Louis Harrison (Community Governor, appointed by Governing Body 06/07/23, period of office expiring 5/07/2027)
- Mr Jaz Lovett - Staff Governor, elected by school staff 21/11/2023, period of office expiring on 20/11/2027
Currently, there are 2 Parent Governor vacancies and 1 LA Governor vacancy.
- Member of Pupils and Personnel Committee
- Member of Financial, Audit and Risk Committee
- Member of Admissions Committee. Membership of Pupil Discipline and other Staffing Committees is determined when these Committees are required to meet.
- As an employee does not participate when Audit matters are discussed at Finance, Audit and Risk Committee.
The Governing Body usually meets twice per term and is supported by a Committee structure of a number of Committees (including, Pupils and Personnel and Finance, Audit and Risk) which meet on a termly basis. The Head Teacher, presents written reports to these meetings. In addition to attending meetings Governors are able, if they wish, to undertake what are known as Link positions in areas where they may have a special interest, for example, Special Educational Needs or taking part in interviews for the appointment of staff. Governors are also offered training that is appropriate to their role over the course of their membership.
The Governing Body is always keen to respond to any requests about how it operates and receive any expressions of interest for future membership. In this connection, contact can be made with the Chair or the Clerk, c/o the school or as indicated above.
All governors and members complete business and pecuniary interest forms on an annual basis. The current register is available here.
The record of Governors’ attendance at meetings in all previous years may be accessed in the appropriate section of the Financial Statements which can be found below. Further detail on such attendance for the 2019/20 year is available here.
- Annual Report Governors Attendance Figures for 2022-2023 for Governing Body Trust and Finance Committees
- Annual Report Governors Attendance Figures for 2022-2023 for Pupils and Admissions Committees
Scheme of Delegation
Some aspects of the delegation of responsibilities are referred to in the preceding paragraphs of this section of the website. For clarity, delegation arrangements can be summarised as under:-
Academy Trust – a small group of Members who must act in accordance with the objectives set out in the Trust’s Articles of Association. The Trust sets the strategic direction of the Academy. As a single converter Academy the Trust has generally only met to date to hold its Annual General Meeting when the appointment of Members, approval of the statutory financial accounts for the year in question, the contents of the report of the external auditors and the appointment of auditors have been determined.
Governing Body – As a single converter Academy, Governors are Directors of the Company and the Governing Body manages the Academy on behalf of the Trust. Save for those few matters that are reserved for the Trust the Governing Body is responsible for deciding all other matters, subject to the delegation arrangements referred to below
Delegation from the Governing Body – the Governing Body Scheme of Delegation for 2023/24 is available here.