Home School Arrangement
The school will:
- Conduct all communication with the parents in a polite and respectful manner in accordance with the ethos of the school.
- Insist on high standards of both work and behaviour and develop students’ sense of responsibility and belonging to the school.
- Provide a safe, well-ordered caring and healthy environment for students.
- Provide students with the opportunity to achieve their full potential by providing a balanced curriculum to meet their individual needs.
- Value students as individuals and give opportunities to them to express their views.
- Identify students’ academic and personal needs and provide appropriate intervention and support where necessary.
- Provide an annual written report and opportunities to discuss students’ progress, achievements and problems that might arise.
- Provide opportunities for parents to learn about and contribute to their child’s education, and issues affecting life in school.
The parent(s)/carer(s) will:
- Conduct all communication with the school in a polite and respectful manner in accordance with the ethos of the school.
- Not record phone conversations or meetings without consent. Were this to happen communication will be limited to email i.e. no face to face or phone call communication.
- Communication involving racist or homophobic language will be terminated.
- Take responsibility for and monitor students’ use of the computer/mobile phone and social media to ensure they are used appropriately and students are not putting themselves at risk.
- Support the School’s Behaviour Policy and any sanctions issued.
- Ensure that students come to school regularly, on time, with the equipment that they need and in the correct school uniform.
- Attend parents’ evenings and discussions about students’ progress.
- Not take students out of school during term time.
- Support and encourage students in homework and reading and involvement in extracurricular activities.
- Inform the school about any problem which might affect students’ work and behaviour.
- Understand that in a busy school it is not always possible to respond within 24 hours and that appointments need to be made in advance.
- Check and sign the student planner each week.
The student will:
- Behave well, be polite, and respect all in our community.
- Obey the school rules and accept sanctions in an appropriate way.
- Show respect to school staff, fellow students, school property and the school environment.
- Not bring electronic devices, mobile phones, internet enabled watches, iPods, or any other valuables into school.
- Arrive at school and lessons on time.
- Bring the correct equipment for each day and look after it when in school.
- Follow the school rules with regard to school uniform and appearance.
- Work hard and do all their class work and any homework as well as they can.
- Act as Ambassadors when off the school premises.
- Keep their parent(s)/carer(s) informed and involved in their life at school.
The Fernwood School Drugs Policy
We understand that if any student:
- is in possession of drugs in school
- passes drugs or substances alleged to be drugs on to another student
- asks another student to get drugs for them in school
they are likely to be permanently excluded.
Social Media including Mobile Phones
- School will not intervene with issues between students that arise on social media or web spaces, unless this causes a direct problem in school or is to the detriment of the schools reputation.
- Where direct problems have arisen in school the school will seek information from parent(s)/carer(s) as to their strategy for ensuring that this is not repeated. This will prevent further upset to students and their families and wasting staff resource.
- If there are issues between students on social media we advise parents to click the ‘report abuse’ button and shut down the social media account.